New Year's Reso..pbbbt

Thursday, January 6, 2011

My husband is big on New Year's Resolutions. He makes 'em and he sticks to 'em. He pulled out his list of last year's resolutions and check! check! check! That made him very enthusiastic about setting this year's resolutions so he got right to work on them and started asking about mine and my son's.

My eight-year-old son loved how excited his dad was so he cranked out a list too. Here's a preview:
Never fight
Never kill
Feed the hamster
Earn money

Any predictions which ones he'll accomplish? I like that "Never kill" one. I'll have to add it to my list.

Resolutions depress me because they imply I'm falling short in some way - which is TRUE - but depressing. I believe in goal setting but sometimes you just need to be okay with the messiness of life and accept your shortcomings so my resolutions this year are three - one of which is "smile everyday." I think I can handle that.

A word about organizing goals. Okay, more than one word. Don't make them without knowing your priorities first. Your goals should align with your priorities. If my first priority is spirituality and all of my goals are about exercising, does that make sense?

My priorities in order of importance:
  1. Spirituality
  2. Relationships
  3. Personal Health and Sanity
  4. Professional
  5. Home Improvement
Your list may be different or in a different order but you can see how my goals should fall into those categories so I'm not forgetting to work on the things that are most important to me. By the way, my other two resolutions fall into the relationship category so I think I'm on track.

How do you organize your goals?

0 comments:

Post a Comment