The Art of Good Disguise

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

This defies the logic and purpose of organizing as you know it. I'm pretty sure you're not going to read this on any other blog. But it's the truth.

Sometimes organizing is not about organizing, it's about disguising messiness. And sometimes the best organizational systems are simply the ones that hide the mess best. This principle is WHY there is a Container Store.

Do you have a "mud room?" I rest my case.

How do you hide your mess? Come on. I know you've put your dirty dishes in the oven when you got a call saying your mother-in-law was dropping by unexpectedly. Admit it! Some of you have even forgotten to take them out and done permanent damage to your tupperware. No. What makes you think I'm talking about me? Good heavens. I'd never make that kind of mistake.

There are so many ways to hide a mess. Cupboards are my favorite. Baskets are a close second. Take a gander at some of the messes my cupboards and baskets are disguising:

The kitchen cupboard hides my son's school and craft supplies. The basket hides my Christmas receipts.

I won't post a picture of it but I love the way a cute cap hides messy hair. Wait. Is that off topic? Or is washing 'n styling your hair really just organizing it? Hmmm.

I have a friend who is fanatical about closing her pantry door. She's constantly reminding/nagging her kids and husband to keep it closed. I think she's hiding a mess in there. I'm all for it. It's easier to "remind" than to organize sometimes right?

Happy Hiding!

0 comments:

Post a Comment